Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   assignment 031 ideal policy promoting equality, diversity and inclusion (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12656)

charlietom 05-04-2011 10:09 AM

assignment 031 ideal policy promoting equality, diversity and inclusion

really struggling with this assignment and feel like giving it all up. is anyone please please please able to help me in the right direction.

i have to write an ideal policy promoting equality, diversity and incluclusion in a children or young pesons setting. i have researched different policies but have no idea where to start.

if anyone can help at all it would be so appreciated xx

Heidi 05-04-2011 06:10 PM

Have a look at equality and diversity on the PLA link below:

SCH 33 http://www.pre-school.org.uk/practitioners/inclusion

Equality act 2010 and a handbook to help

If you google 'equality and diversity policies for early years' there are lots of policies from early years for you to read and get some pointers from. if you want a separate 'inclusion' policy have a look at those online - but remember to include early years in your search to ensure you find relevant policies.

lyn c 05-04-2011 06:56 PM

equality diversity and inclusion policy

Hi here is policy. this might help you.

A policy book was bought and all you do is change it to suit your setting.
Lynne

Equality of opportunity
1.11 Valuing diversity and promoting equality

Policy statement

We will ensure that our service is fully inclusive in meeting the needs of all children. We recognise that children and their families come from diverse backgrounds. All families have needs and values that arise from their social and economic, ethnic and cultural or religious backgrounds. Children grow up in diverse family structures that include two parent and one parent families; some children have two parents of the same ***. Some children have close links with extended families of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins while others may be more removed from close kin or may live with other relatives or foster carers. Some children have needs that arise from disability or impairment or may have parents that are affected by disability or impairment.

Some children come from families who experience social exclusion or severe hardship; some have to face discrimination and prejudice because of their ethnicity, the languages they speak, their religious or belief background, their gender or their impairment.

We understand that these factors affect the well-being of children and can impact on their learning and attainment.

Our setting is committed to anti-discriminatory practice to promote equality of opportunity and valuing diversity for all children and families.

We aim to:
 provide a secure and accessible environment in which all our children can flourish and in which all contributions are considered and valued;
 include and value the contribution of all families to our understanding of equality and diversity;
 provide positive non-stereotyping information about gender roles and diverse family structures, diverse ethnic and cultural groups and disabled people;
 improve our knowledge and understanding of issues of anti-discriminatory practice, promoting equality and valuing diversity;
 challenge and eliminate discriminatory actions;
 make inclusion a thread that runs through all of the activities of the setting; and
 foster good relations between all communities.

EYFS key themes and commitments

A Unique Child Positive Relationships Enabling Environments Learning and Development
1.2 Inclusive practice
1.3 Keeping safe 2.1 Respecting each other
2.2 Parents as partners
2.3 Supporting learning
2.4 Key person 3.2 Supporting every child
3.4 The wider context 4.4 Areas of learning and development

Procedures

Admissions
Our setting is open to all members of the community.
 We advertise our service widely.
 We reflect the diversity of our society in our publicity and promotional materials.
 We provide information in clear, concise language, whether in spoken or written form.
 We provide information in as many languages as possible.
 We base our admissions policy on a fair system.
 We ensure that all parents are made aware of our equal opportunities policy.
 We do not discriminate against a child or their family, or prevent entry to our setting, on the basis of a protected characteristic as defined by the Equalities Act 2010. These are:

- disability;
- race;
- gender reassignment;
- religion or belief;
- sex;
- sexual orientation;
- age;
- pregnancy and maternity; and
- marriage and civil partnership.

 We do not discriminate against a child with a disability or refuse a child entry to our setting for reason relating to disability.
 We ensure wherever possible that we have a balanced intake of boys and girls in the setting.
 We develop an action plan to ensure that people with impairments can participate successfully in the services offered by the setting and in the curriculum offered.
 We take action against any discriminatory behaviour by staff or parents whether by:
- direct discrimination – someone is treated less favourably because of a protected characteristic e.g. preventing families of some racial groups from using the service;
- indirect discrimination - someone is affected unfavourably by a general policy e.g. children must only speak English in the setting;
- association – discriminating against someone who is associated with a person with a protected characteristic e.g. behaving unfavourably to someone who is married to a person from a different cultural background; or
- perception – discrimination on the basis that it is thought someone has a protected characteristic e.g. assuming someone is gay because of their mannerism or how they speak.
 Displaying of openly discriminatory and possibly offensive materials, name calling, or threatening behaviour are unacceptable on or around the premises and will be dealt with in the strongest manner.

Employment
 Posts are advertised and all applicants are judged against explicit and fair criteria.
 Applicants are welcome from all backgrounds and posts are open to all.
 We may use the exemption clauses in relevant legislation to enable the service to best meet the needs of the community.
 The applicant who best meets the criteria is offered the post, subject to references and checks by the Criminal Records Bureau. This ensures fairness in the selection process.
 All job descriptions include a commitment to promoting equality and recognising and respecting diversity as part of their specifications.
 We monitor our application process to ensure that it is fair and accessible.

Training
 We seek out training opportunities for staff and volunteers to enable them to develop anti-discriminatory and inclusive practices, which enable all children to flourish.
 We ensure that staff are confident and fully trained in administering relevant medicines and performing invasive care procedures when these are required.
 We review our practices to ensure that we are fully implementing our policy for promoting equality, valuing diversity and inclusion.

Curriculum
The curriculum offered in the setting encourages children to develop positive attitudes about themselves as well as to people who are different from themselves. It encourages children to empathise with others and to begin to develop the skills of critical thinking.

Our environment is as accessible as possible for all visitors and service users. If access to the settings is found to treat disabled children or adults less favourably then we make reasonable adjustments to accommodate the needs of disabled children and adults. We do this by:
 making children feel valued and good about themselves and others;
 ensuring that children have equality of access to learning;
 undertaking an access audit to establish if the setting is accessible to all children;
 making adjustments to the environment and resources to accommodate a wide range of learning, physical and sensory impairments;
 making appropriate provision within the curriculum to ensure each child receives the widest possible opportunity to develop their skills and abilities, e.g. recognising the different learning styles of girls and boys;
 positively reflecting the widest possible range of communities in the choice of resources;
 avoiding stereotypes or derogatory images in the selection of books or other visual materials;
 celebrating a wide range of festivals;
 creating an environment of mutual respect and tolerance;
 differentiating the curriculum to meet children’s special educational needs;
 helping children to understand that discriminatory behaviour and remarks are hurtful and unacceptable;
 ensuring that the curriculum offered is inclusive of children with special educational needs and children with disabilities;
 ensuring that children learning English as an additional language have full access to the curriculum and are supported in their learning; and
 ensuring that children speaking languages other than English are supported in the maintenance and development of their home languages.

Valuing diversity in families
 We welcome the diversity of family lifestyles and work with all families.
 We encourage children to contribute stories of their everyday life to the setting.
 We encourage mothers, fathers and other carers to take part in the life of the setting and to contribute fully.
 For families who speak languages in addition to English, we will develop means to ensure their full inclusion.
 We offer a flexible payment system for families of differing means and offer information regarding sources of financial support.
 We take positive action to encourage disadvantaged and under-represented groups to use the setting.

Food
 We work in partnership with parents to ensure that dietary requirements of children that arise from their medical, religious or cultural needs are met.
 We help children to learn about a range of food, and of cultural approaches to mealtimes and eating, and to respect the differences among them.

Meetings
 Meetings are arranged to ensure that all families who wish to may be involved in the running of the setting.
 We positively encourage fathers to be involved in the setting especially those fathers who do not live with the child.
 Information about meetings is communicated in a variety of ways - written, verbal and in translation - to ensure that all mothers and fathers have information about and access to the meetings.

Monitoring and reviewing
 To ensure our policies and procedures remain effective we will monitor and review them annually to ensure our strategies meets the overall aims to promote equality, inclusion and valuing diversity.
 We provide a complaints procedure and a complaints summary record for parents to see.

Legal framework
 The Equality Act 2010
 Children Act 1989, 2004
 Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001

This policy was adopted at a meeting of name of setting
Held on (date)
Date to be reviewed (date)
Signed on behalf of the management committee
Name of signatory
Role of signatory (e.g. chair/owner)

Other useful Pre-school Learning Alliance publications

 Embracing Equality (2007)
 All Together Now (2009)
 Where’s Dad? (2009)

charlietom 05-07-2011 06:23 PM

Thank you so much that was really helpful. :)

Catrin1 06-06-2011 04:15 PM

Hi
This was the first assignment I did. I asked my setting for their policy and looked on the Internet for another (I used a primary school) and they were pretty similar in all honesty. I didn't go into as much detail as the other reply gave you, I didn't feel it was needed. I included all the points about not discriminating on any grounds whatsoever and listed lots eg, ethnicity, religion, life style choices (eg, vegetarian) etc etc and also included not discriminating against staff members. It was a little tricky because I seem to remember having to start the policy with definitions of inclusion, equality etc which stunted my flow! When comparing the policy's and saying why I had included what I had I just spoke about how all the policies I had researched had basically said much of the same things and listed a few examples.
Hope this helps.

Please don't give up - I know exactly how you feel honestly. I find it difficult juggling work, family, house and diploma too and I think we prob all have days when we want to give up (I certainly do!) but it WILL be worth it in the end! xx

Jusna_b 03-11-2012 04:48 PM

Help. Assignment 031 TASK D

can someone please help me on assisgnment 031 Task d

Write an ideal policy promoting equality, diveristy and inclusion. And research two different policies.
And writing a brief report explaining why ive chosen the content of my ideal policy by comparing the two policies :banghead:

Ruthierhyme 03-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusna_b (Post 45739)

Write an ideal policy promoting equality, diveristy and inclusion. And research two different policies.
And writing a brief report explaining why ive chosen the content of my ideal policy by comparing the two policies :banghead:

Hi, take a little time to read through this thread and member's replies, try to see how you can formulate a plan to cover the assignment.. ie. request policies from your own setting, find another to compare it to, see how they are the same and how they differ then write why you would select aspects from one over the other to build your own ideal policy.

Best wishes

...................~*
Supporting silkysteps
For a list of level 3 diploma learner handbooks on amazon.co.uk

lyn c 03-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusna_b (Post 45739)

The policy above is for you to adapt to your setting, this is what a policy looks like all you have to do is take the bits out that do not represent your setting or in your case the ones that you are not happy with, reword them to suit you and add more if you think it needs to be in your policy and procedure.

Hope it gives you a better idea

Lynne

kyra 10-12-2012 11:58 PM

i have to write an ideal policy promoting equality, diversity and incluclusion in a children or young pesons setting. i have researched different policies but have no idea where to start:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Ruthierhyme 10-13-2012 04:31 PM

Hi, welcome to silkysteps. Start by reading through this thread, your setting or placement's own policy for equality, diversity and inclusion and any guidance that you've been given by your tutor and handbook.

Consider the reasons why certain points are being made and then formulate the policy you'd like to see in place.

Hth