Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play

Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/index.php)
-   Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=269)
-   -   Schools as Organisations - Help Please (http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13675)

Funnymummy 09-07-2011 07:05 PM

Schools as Organisations - Help Please

After doing seven pages for this assignment I have missed lot's out and am having to go back over it all. Feel like joking it all in at the moment. Question 1.1 Summarise entitlement and provisions for early years education. I looked this up and it gave information for 3-4 year olds. I have now been asked to do it from the age of 0 - 5. Can anyone give me advise on a website to look at please I have tried but am having no luck because I don't know what to do. unit is 302 Schools as Organisations
Thank you.

amantha123 02-17-2012 04:20 PM

Hi Funnymummy I've just done this one and this is what i@ve wrote, hope this helps you.1.1 Summarise entitlement and provision for early year’s education.
There are different types of childcare options available for 0-5 year olds, these include:
• Sure Start Children’s Centre: Working with parent’s right from the birth of their child, providing early years education for children, full day care, short-term care, health and family support, parenting advice as well as training and employment advice.
• Nursery schools: Provide early learning and childcare for children between three and five years old. They are often based at Sure Start Children’s Centres or linked to a primary school.
• Preschools and playgroups: Usually run by voluntary groups providing part-time play and early learning for the under fives. Three and four year olds can get their 15 hours of weekly free early year’s education at these providers.
• Day Nurseries: Often based in workplaces and rum by businesses or voluntary groups providing care and learning activities for children from birth to five years old.
• Childminders: Look after children under 12 in the childminder’s own home. They can look after up to six children under eight years old, although no more than three of them must be under the age of five.
• Nannies and home-based carers: Provide care for children in your home and can look after children of any age.
Since 2004 all children in the UK aged three and four years old have been entitled to free places at nursery or another preschool setting (including childminders). From 1st September 2010 the Government extended these hours from 12.5 to 15 hours for up to 38 weeks of the year.
The free entitlement provides universal access to early childhood education and care, ensuring that all children have the opportunity to benefit from early years education. The extended hours also supports parents who wish to go back to work or develop their careers through further education by providing affordable day care.

moodie 02-18-2012 05:54 PM

Hi, I completed this last November, here is what I wrote which covers 1.1 and 1.2 together, hope it helps.

community schools are run and owned by the Local Authority, which may support the school through the local community and also by providing a support service. They will determine the admission policy, also, they will develop the use of school facilities by local groups for example.
 Adult education.
 Childcare classes.
Foundation and trust schools are mostly run by the school governing body, they will call the shots on the school admission policy with the local education authority.
The school, buildings and the land will be owned by the governing body or may be a charitable foundation.
A trust school which is kind of like a foundation school, which will form a charitable trust with an outside business, although the school will have to provide any additional support services which the school may require.
It is up to the governing body and parents on whether the school becomes a trust school or not.
There are two types of voluntary schools, voluntary aided and voluntary controlled.
Voluntary aided schools are mainly religious or faith schools, although anyone can apply for a place their no matter what their background is. As with a foundation school, the governing body.
 Employs the staff.
 Sets the admission criteria.
They are funded partly by the governing body, partly by a charity and partly by the Local Education Authority.
The governing body helps contribute for any wear and tear on the building, whereas the school building and land are owned by a charitable organisation, which will generally be of a religious background.
Voluntary –controlled schools are funded and run by the Local Authority, like above the school.
 Employs the school’s staff.
 Sets the admissions criteria.
The school land and building is owned by a charity, this will often be a religious organisation, which also appoints some of the members of governing body.
The special educational needs (SEN) team are supported by a very active group who make sure that they provide a range of activities to meet the needs of our ever growing community of special schools, as well as colleagues in mainstream primary and secondary schools.
Their aim is to work together to ensure good practice to promote effective approaches to enhance the students learning with Special Educational Needs.
Independent schools sets out their own curriculum and admission policies as the Head Teacher and the governors decide on the admissions policy These schools are funded by parents and also from income from investments, half of them have charitable status.
All the independent school must be registered with the Department for Education.
Academies schools are set up by sponsors from businesses and are independently managed schools which jointly funds the land and buildings, they do still have very close links with the Local Education Authority, the government does still cover the running costs.
Until a few years ago the only options open for young children leaving school was either to continue with their education or to leave school and try to find full time employment.
So, in 2007 the government tried to change this so it reduced the number of young children who was not only leaving education but not in full time education or a training scheme, so the government introduced the ‘September guarantee’. Basically what this means is that all 16 to 19 year olds leaving school are guaranteed a place to further their education if this is the route the young person would like to take, this then was modified to give the opportunity to 17 year olds who had finished or even left a short time course they may have chosen at the age of 16.

Some of info has come from directgov and supporting teaching and learning in schools.

Topaze 03-16-2014 10:00 AM

Thank you so much amantha and Moodie : )